Friday, February 12, 2010

Another First

I have really enjoyed having Nathaniel in this new pre-k class for 3 and 4-year-olds.  Not only has he grown exponentially in the area of vocabulary and made huge leaps and strides in potty-training.  But now he brings home crafts.  Lots and lots of them!


It's been great getting these little snippets into his day from school every week.  And as a result, we (the parents) have tasks we're asked to help them with at home to enforce their learning (practicing with scissors, stringing beads, typical fare like that).

This week was no different!  After all, Valentine's Day is coming so we had to make Valentine's for Nate to bring in for his classmates!  Fun, fun!

I found this adorable idea over at The Long Thread and just knew this was something Nathaniel could help with!  So one night, after Alex was in bed, Nate and I got to work stripping the paper off his beat up and broken crayons.


Before too long we had a bowl of naked and broken up goodies.


I was amazed at how quickly Nathaniel took to this project.  I mean, we're talking about the kid with a 30-second attention span here!  But he knew just what to do and was actually doing it before I even had to tell him what the next step was!



Into the oven they went for quite some time (too long, I think...the thick crayons were cheapies and they just wouldn't melt no matter what, so the others melted too much, if that's possible...)


Either way I think the final product was pretty and that's what counted.  


Nathaniel lost interest in the project after making the actual crayons so the assembly turned into my project, but that's ok.  I was very proud of him!  I already have ideas brewing for our his valentines for next year!!



With his first Valentines made and distributed to his pre-school friends, Nathaniel came home yesterday with a whole bag of his own from them!  I just love this stuff!

Stay tuned...

4 comments:

Shana Putnam said...

Those are so cute. I bet it is really fun seeing him come home with all that and all the progress he has made.

Tifkota said...

Those are AWESOME! I WISH Brielle got one of those, instead of more candy, from her classmates. I think we'll give that a try next year, or on another holiday. Well done, Crafty Mama! They are beautiful. And the quality time with your kid is just priceless. <3

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

Sorry but spelling errors plagued my last comment. I am with Tifkota. I will have to give these a whirl with Ava next year. I never did them with my other two so this will be my last chance!