Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Simple Woman's Daybook...March 30, 2010

FOR TODAY...March 30, 2010

Outside my window...sun!  They're calling for "unseasonably warm" temperatures by week's end and I can't wait!  It's so nice to be able to send the kids outside without worrying about their cold fingers or runny noses!

I am thinking...about the list of things we have to do to get our house ready to put on the market.  Alex's room is ready (minus a couple bins that need to go downstairs) and Nate's is closer to ready than it was a couple days ago.  Now if only I could find the time to pack up the china cabinet so Dave can move that out and figure out what to do in our bedroom....

I am thankful for...two healthy children.  They both had their check-ups yesterday (Alex's 18-month and Nathaniel's 4-year) and are fabulously healthy children.  Alex is 22 lbs 10 oz (10th percentile) and 31.75 inches tall (34th).  He's on track developmentally for all things and is fit as a whistle.  Nathaniel is 45 lbs (95th percentile) and 40 inches tall (45th) - that's only 18" shorter than ME! 

From the kitchen...EASTER EGGS!  'Tis the season to stain our fingers, floor, clothes, table, shoes, eggs pretty colors and take lots of pictures of the fun while we're at it!!  Not sure when we'll squeeze that in this week but Easter is this weekend so I better figure it out!

I am wearing...a pair of fabulous new teal shoes I bought at Goodwill with my sister the other day.  We were dress shopping to find new digs to wear to the wedding in Arizona in a couple weeks and I found nothing but my old (constant) feelings of inadequacy and low self esteem.  Fun stuff.  Anyway, the shoes were adorable and CHEAP so they helped lift my spirits (can you say "retail therapy"?!?)!  At some point I'll have to re-tackle that dress issue but I still have two weeks so what's the rush?  HA!  If push comes to shove, I'll just squeeze into some unflattering item I already own and call it a night. 

I am remembering...to contact the mortgage lady to see if she's found anything out about our pre-approval.  Dave is getting antsy so I told him I would follow up.  I can't forget to do that...

I am going...to get back on 101 in 1001 goal.  I totally lost momentum and it's frustrating me.  I hate being the person with big ideas that never GO anywhere so I vow to focus on formulating my goal list and starting that project so I can FINISH something for a change!

I am reading...very little.  I still hope to work that in somewhere, but it hasn't happened yet.  I've even falled behind on my blogs.  I think my reader has over a hundred unread blog posts...I keep up on those that I can but the more involved ones remain unseen.  Just about the time I catch up I miss a day and then fall behind again.  I wish I knew where to draw the line!

I am hoping...to get this day over with soon!  It's been a busy week (already!) and having today behind me will be one day closer to the gorgeous weekend we're planning.  My husband is off this weekend so that's a bonus!

I am hearing...nothing but the typing of my keys, a few cars driving past.  I love the silence.  It's refreshing!

Pondering these words..."Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first" - Mark Twain
In a world where too many people have this entitlement attitude, I think this is a fabulous quote.  What ever happened to the mentality that you get what you WORK for?  To EARN what you have?  This is one thing I hope to instill in my boys.   

Around the house...I am downsizing.  Or at least trying to.  I was in a mood to purge the other day so I went through Nate's toys and pulled out ones that he either has no interest in, were annoying, or just plain too big and we donated them.  He did very well with the idea, actually, only asking to keep two of the toys I had chosen to get rid of.  I did the same with Alex's toys (pulling out toys that he's "over") and will continue that pattern until my house seems less claustrophobic! 

On my mind...I'm still angry that the doctor's office has Nathaniel classified as "obese" because he is (and always has been!) in the 95th percentile for weight.  He's 4-years-old, people.  Seriously?  The doctor wants us to watch what Nate is eating, when, how much, etc.  Apparently his BMI has him in the "obese" range which pisses me off.  That's why I'm focusing on the fact that they're both healthy.  I refuse to instill a complex simply because society wants me to.

Noticing that...Nathaniel's check-ups are always near his birthday which is poorly timed since it's at the end of (a very long Western NY) winter!  He always seems to "bulk" up in the winter and then has his Spring growth spurt where he lengthens out - why can't the doctor weigh him THEN? 

One of my favorite things...my camera.  I (obviously!) love to take photos of anything and everything.  I feel like taking photos is like emblazoning that moment, that expression, that outfit, that cute mannerism, a flower, a sunset, you name it, in my memory and in the world forever. I've been having a recurring dream lately where I am on a trip of a lifetime (Ireland, Switzerland, etc.) or at a wedding or another once-in-a-lifetime event and I've forgotten my camera.  It's horrifying.  I wind up trying to capture what I can with my cell phone (only to be "warned" that I'm out of memory, of course!) and that's just not sufficient!

A few plans for the rest of the week:  Busy, busy.  Playdate with the Ayers' tonight.  Walk 'n Talk with Heidi tomorrow, Melon Bean outing with Tiff & Brie on Thursday and then the family and I are heading down to camp to enjoy the beautiful weather they're forecasting.
Here is picture for thought I am sharing...
I just love Alex's smile.  It's so infectious and lights up my world.  

Stop over to see Peggy at Simple Woman's Daybook and read other weekly entries!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Jayden's birthday is in December but since he has gotten older I take him in June with Ava. Now that Nate is in the once a year thing, and once you are set with shots, you can take him when you want.