Friday, July 30, 2010

In Limbo

Here I sit on July 30th in our old home, which we still own.  And while that's all well and good considering the high levels of anxiety I have about this move, it's still not what I was expecting come today when our contract specifically said we would close on or before July 30th.  I feel very much in limbo.  We sit in an echo-y shell of a home with no closing date in sight.  The majority of the house is packed up but there is a lot waiting on that "get out" phase (toothbrushes, necessities, every day items, etc.)  As I've told many people over the last week, I'd just like a closing date so I know what else to pack.  Living out of a box or a suitcase for a few days is different than doing it (with two small children) for a week or two.  I'd just like to know and get this ridiculous holding pattern we're stuck in moving...

I tend to be a relatively flexible, easy-going person but c'mon already!  This process has been going on for months and I just want it over with.  It's difficult explaining to a 4-year-old why practically everything he owns is in a box that he doesn't have access to.  I've calmed many a fear that we might forget a prized possession, and headed more than one gentle reminder "not to forget to pack" this, that or the other thing to bring it to the new house.  Nate doesn't have a bed set up anymore so the last few nights he's been randomly picking where he wants to sleep...under his brother's crib (bunk-bed style), in the middle of his packed room (on the floor), in his empty closet, on the couch in the living room.  It'll make his last few days here fun, I guess.

So, as I spin my wheels, grit my teeth, and try not to get frustrated with this whole process, I will use this calm before the storm to soak in the last memories and details of our home here on Avery Street, and start planning the fun things to look forward to in our future!

No comments: