Thursday, July 22, 2010

It's The Little Things...Manners


I spent the last 6 days up North in the Adirondacks for some family gatherings and R&R with my boys, Mom & Dad, Sister and niece, and brother and sister-in-law.   We had a baby shower for my brother and s-i-l and my soon-to-be nephew.  We also had a Stanton Family Reunion to see relatives (some of whom I've never met) from my paternal grandmother's side of the family.  It was great to see many of my aunts, uncles, and cousins that I don't get to see very often.  The Lewis County Fair was in full swing, and we had a get together with my Mom's side of the family, complete with fresh clams and lobster (yum!!!) With all the festivities that were going on, my boys were contending with screwy bedtimes, non-existent or shortened naps, and long days full of strange, new people.  

Generally under these circumstances, my 4-year-old tends to get a little rude and/or mouthy.  When he's overtired or has had enough, he tends to act out by being loud, uncooperative, and sometimes just plain mean.  Not this weekend though.  I was so proud of him this weekend.  He met many a strange face and when introduced he'd walk right up to said stranger, stick out his hand, and say "Hi , I'm Nate...nice to meet you."  He even impressed an older woman at one gathering who bid me adieu that night with a HUGE compliment, saying I had "such sweet boys" and that "I was a good mother for raising them up right", with good manners.  Proud as a peacock I was with Nathaniel this weekend.  Sure he had his moments, but he really proved to me what a big boy he is becoming and gave me a glimpse of hope that I may, in fact, be doing something right. 

Join Heidi over at Starts at Eight in highlighting the little things that make a BIG difference along this path called Motherhood.  Sometimes it's these updrafts that keep us afloat just long enough to catch the next tailwind.   

1 comment:

Matt said...

Acting with consideration and respect is becoming a lost art-so "mad props" to you and Dave for raising your kids right!