Sunday, November 7, 2010

Thanksgiving Thankfuls...Random Acts of Kindness


Driving to pick up the boys the other day, I watched a man crossing the street when suddenly he stopped, pulled a plastic bag out of his pocket and bent down to pick up some garbage from the street.  He placed it in the grocery bag and went about his business.  It was a random sighting but it made me feel good inside to know there are still people out there who will stop what they're doing and do for others.  Most people are lazy, or self involved, or too busy to even bother with something like this, that many simply feel is "not our job".  I've been guilty of this.  I'm sure you have, too.

My beloved friend, Tiffany's, daughter is a promising view of our future.  Brie is what I would call a litterbug, but not the bad kind.  She sees litter, waste, and other trash strewn about and instinctively picks it up and places it in the closest garbage receptacle.  Every time.  She understands the great things recycling can accomplish, and sees beauty all around her.  It's amazing to watch.  Did I mention she's die hard about it?  She has a true earth loving spirit.  Oh, and she's 4.  I know, right!  If only we could teach more 4-year-olds to be selfless and think about their impact on each other and the world around them.  At least she gives me hope.  She's a bright spot in our future and I am glad to have her impact, not only on me, but on my boys!

In a world where it's easy to turn the other way than to help someone.  Where people ignore what they see and hope it will go away.  Or assume they can't make a difference anyway...Let's look out for each other and act in thoughtful ways.


Don't wait for people to be friendly, show them how. ~Author Unknown

Random acts of kindness are an easy way to spread joy and hope and cheer.  So today, I am thankful for a glimpse of these in our increasingly mean and evil world.  It's easy to think they don't exist but then you meet someone like Brie, or see a stranger on the street, stopping to pick up someone else's garbage, and you realize kindness is alive and well.  It's just not as widely practiced.  So let's do our best to practice it more.  Do one kind thing for someone else, every day.  You'd be surprised how quickly it spreads!

Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end. ~Scott Adams

No comments: