Friday, March 4, 2011

Flashback Friday - Traditions

Growing up I had my fair share of traditions to look forward to each year - traditions to celebrate birthday, Christmas, and annual Vacations.

I struggle with traditions to establish with my boys.  Sometimes I think I even over think it (gasp!) at times and try too hard to make everything a tradition that they can hold on to.

Today, however, I decided to share an old tradition my Mom established years ago.  When I was Nate's age, I remember coming home from Kindergarten (it was half-day for me) and my Mom would give me a snack of peanut butter saltines with a sprinkle of sugar...Mom would allow me a certain number of crackers depending on my age, and proximity to meal time, I suspect.  I'd count out the crackers, and create my masterpieces.

Not only are these little ditties delicious even to these days, but they bring back such fond comfort and memories for me.  I remember coming home from rough days in college and making that for my snack.  I'd sit at the table, using a paper towel for a plate, just as I remember Mom doing, and I'd count out my crackers, build my crackerpieces and savor.


I was so happy to be able to share this simple snack from my past with my boys.  Nate got 4 (one for each year) and Alex got 2 to follow suit.  And both seemed to enjoy them as much as I did.  I'm not sure they understood the importance these little concoctions hold but I do hope they realize it the way I do someday.  I at least hope some of my traditions stick...If not this tradition, than the next.

No comments: