Monday, September 12, 2011

Another First - Kindergarten!

Obviously, it's been a busy week around here!  September marks Birthday Month for most of my family members so it's a busy month anyway.  Add in new schools and new schedules and paperwork and appointments and preparations and you have crazy time!

As you may have read, Nathaniel started Kindergarten last week.  He loves it and is even enjoying latch key after school.  His teacher is nice and he recites her motto "zip it, lock it, put it in your pocket" about 100 times a day!  I'm not quite sure how I feel about that yet.  He says it with so much spunk it sounds attitudinal.  Anyway, I digress....


So, because I had a few more photos I wanted to share, I thought I'd write this "update" of sorts on how the first week (ok, 4 days) of Kindergarten has gone.  He loves to kiss his baby brother goodbye before he heads out the door.


The days are very long.  Nate starts his day waiting for the bus around 8:15 and doesn't get out of school until 3:40.  Then he spends an hour or so in latch key until I get there to pick him up so by the time he's home, he's a bundle of fun (sarcasm).  I'm hoping his tantrums and crying streaks diminish as he adjusts to the long days, but until then, my limits of patience and understanding are tested daily.


Every night last week ended with him screaming "I don't want to go to bed, I'm not TIRED!".  Followed by minutes of complaining about anything (the temperature, his itchy underwear, his uncomfortable bed, his brother's Big Fuzzy Blue Blanket touching him...you name it).  It's a mere minutes later when I hear the comforting sound of yawning and finally SNORING to know he was in fact tired and Mama always knows best.

So, as he goes off on the bus tomorrow and for days/weeks/years following, I am thankful for his independent spirit, his uncanny ability to make friends where ever he goes, and his insatiable curiosity and thirst for learning.  Go get 'em, Bug!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

What a busy boy!! I'm sure the nights will get better, but I can TOTALLY relate with the million excuses not to go to bed. Sooooo tiring! :)