Friday, May 15, 2009

I was here

So, at what point does one find their place in the world? Their calling, their gift. This is something I've been struggling with for...well, as long as I can remember - but more recently since I was blessed with my children. I want so much to find my purpose, make a difference, to leave a mark. While, on one hand, I think the very existence of my boys IS my mark on this world, I find it increasingly more important to make a difference BECAUSE of them so they can in turn do the same. I want to be a good role model for their futures and to give them good cause to be proud of their Momma. I just struggle with what that purpose is, what my mark should look like.

There's a song by Lady Antebellum that says it perfectly:

"I wanna do something that matters, say something different
Something that sets the whole world on it's ear
I wanna do somethin better, with the time I've been given
And I wanna try to touch a few hearts in this life
And leave nothin' less than something that says 'I was here'"


So I continue on my journey to find that something I am here to do. That something special that I can contribute to secure my legacy. For now I will simply write in pencil, "I was here" and hope someday to retrace my mark in permanent ink. Does anyone have a Sharpie I can borrow?

No comments: