Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Resolution Mumbo Jumbo

I am not exactly what you would call a "stick-to-it" type.  When the going gets tough, I bail.  I hate that about myself, but it's mostly true.  That's why this resolution thing is hairy for me.  I always start out with strong convictions, good intentions, and smart ideas but it all goes off track very easily.

I'm a deadline-driven girl.  I need due dates and structured time lines to get stuff accomplished.  I'm a procrastinator in every sense of the word.  If there is a way to put something off, I will find it.  If there is something I can do BEFORE having to do that which I really need to do, I will do it.  But deadlines usually kick me into gear.  At the very last minute, of course.  For some reason, the threat of someone being mad at me or failing to meet a deadline weighs heavily on my mind and motivates me to complete things.  And even though I might procrastinate until the 11th hour, I always rally and come through in the bitter end. 

Anyway, with that said, resolutions are sticky for me.  I have many "self-improvement projects" I'm constantly undergoing.  Many things on my to-do list I'd like to actually accomplish.  But for some reason having the whole year to accomplish them in doesn't sound deadline-y enough.  And I think my expectations *gasp* for realistic goals may be a bit high.

That's why this year I'm tossing aside the lofty "I want to be skinny by 2011" and "I vow to cook like Julia Childs, clean like Mr. Clean, and decorate like Martha Stewart" type goals.  I'm setting aside the vague ambitions to "be happy" or "be a better Mother" and I'm going for something more attainable.  Don't get me wrong, there's definitely room for improvement there and I could certainly use a reminder to tweak my perspective on things from time to time, but as for hard and fast resolutions, I'm simplifying a little this year.

Here goes:

I want to lose 15 lbs before my cousin's wedding (in Arizona!) in April.  I figure that's just shy of 16 weeks away, so a pound a week is a realistic goal.  Now, in good goal-setting technique, I've also thought about how I will do this.  Being realistic, I know I have neither the time, nor the willpower to go back on Weight Watchers full-force at the moment, but I do intend on eating better, with the WW theories in mind.  Loosely "counting" my points, paying attention to the fiber intake, limiting calories and fat...and exercising AT LEAST 3 times a week.  That's not ALL the weight I hope to lose in 2010, but I figured I'd start small - with a DEADLINE of sorts to work towards.  Losing fifteen pounds would get me back to pre-Alex weight and that would be better than where I'm at now!  After I reach that goal I'll work towards my next goal or losing another 20 to get back to my pre-Nate weight...and so on and so forth.  Baby steps!  :)

Next, I want to complete my 101 in 1001 list and get started on that project.  For a refresher on that goal of mine, read here.

Lastly, I want to get my house organized and de-cluttered.  The bigger goal here is to get our house on the market and get it SOLD this year.  It's time to move out of the City and to somewhere bigger and better.  Nathaniel starts school in just over a year and a half and I do NOT want him starting in City schools.  Plus, this 900-something square foot house is closing in on us as the boys get older and their stuff gets bigger!  It's time.  I am learning to part with things I realistically don't need and have agreed to do so more simply (trip to Salvation Army versus trying to Craigslist or Freecycle it all which is VERY time consuming).  Now I just need to find the TIME to tackle my piles.  Again, small doses.  Chip away,  layer by layer.

So, while I will continue working on those self-improvement projects (work on my patience and perspective, be a better mother, etc.) and that to-do list (clean the basement, purge Nate's toys, go through the kids' clothes, etc.)...I will focus my resolution effort for 2010 towards the three goals above. As the year progresses, I will keep you up to date on my progress.  I hope you all will hold me accountable to some degree!  Happy 2010 to you all!  Thanks for following me on this blogging journey in 2009 and I hope you all have a prosperous new year!  May you all accomplish that which YOU set out to take on!

3 comments:

Shana Putnam said...

Here is to your goals and your being simplistic about it. I too had been saving stuff for a yard sale or whatever but I said just get rid of it. I am also a big time procrastinator.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for making a list of reasonable, concrete goals. I too am not a resolution person, but that's probably because I often make quite abstract resolutions and then don't realize whether I've met them or not. (I like to be able to cross things off of a list.) To that end, I am going to check out your link to 101 goals in 1001 days - sounds like it's right up my alley!

Sherry said...

Congrats on your resolutions! I was too lazy to even come up with one, so you're one step ahead of most everyone. Hopefully you keep us updated with all your resolution progress!