So, for Christmas this year, I requested science-y (total word!) things to encourage his curiosities. As usualy, his Aunt Wendy (my brother's wife) came through in spades. He scored a rocket kit, a clock kit to build using a lemon (!), and a really cool crystal growing kit.
Being fresh out of lemons and with it only 26 degrees outside with a windchill near single digits (and I am NOT launching OR building a rocket in my house!), we opted for the crystal experiment.
The boys suited up in protective gear. (Hey, it was recommended and as you know, my firefighter boys take safety very seriously!)
I gave them each their tasks and we got to work measuring, pouring, mixing, and sprinkling.
A mere 20 or so hours later, the boys "checked on" their crystals and found this...
According to the directions, the crystals will reach optimum size in 4-7 days, at which time we can drain off the liquid, dry them out, and put a top on the jar to keep them indefinitely!
I think it's pretty cool and the boys like to check on them every few hours to see what (if anything) has changed. Such fun!
Stay tuned! I'll (try to remember to) share the final result!